Thursday, June 21, 2007

Munson

I have no right to wax poetic about UGA's current and soon-to-be former football play-by-play announcer. I didn't attend UGA (rather a small, D-III school in Virginia--Washington & Lee); I wasn't a die hard fan through the mid to late 80s and early 90s. I was born in 1971, so I wasn't there for the very beginning. I always wanted the Dogs to do well, but during my later high school and college years (coinciding w/ the Ray Goff tenure) I didn't keep up too much. When Donnan took over, my roommate at grad school in Tennessee was a huge Dog fan and he helped light a fire under my butt again. He also did a nearly perfect Munson impression and recited with regularity nearly every Munson call from the National Championship season through the remainder of the Herschel Walker years. Needless to say, I developed an appreciation for 'running right through two men', 'run Lindsey run,' 'sugar falling from the sky', Butler's kick against Clemson, etc. And of course, I got to hear the Hob-nailed boot and the Auburn catch, etc. myself.

The biggest joy of listening to Munson was that he accurately depicted that almost parental fear that the Dogs wouldn't be successful along with the parental joy when something good happened. When the games were tight--he shared the upset stomach you were feeling. When the Bulldogs succeeded--he shared the sheer relief and the cautious joy that followed. Granted, you weren't always sure who was doing what in the later years (outside of one of 'our guys' or one of 'their guys'), but that stuff is easy to get at later. You had the general idea and you felt it. That was good enough.

No comments: